Friday, 27 January 2012

Han

Han (Korean) - a collective feeling of oppression and isolation in the face of overwhelming odds. It connotes aspects of lament and unavenged injustice.

Han (Alison-ese) - Good time girl and long time besty.





Here she is in all her ice-cream eating glory. She lives in Spain you see, where they eat ice-cream all the time and generally laze about saying 'maƱana' when you ask them to do something. I married a Spanish man. I know.

I totally ripped off how Hannah and I met for a short story I once wrote so stop me if you've heard this one before. We were both in the wrong place at the right time on the third day of university. A mistake brought us together. It would be two more years before we really got to know each other, before we became housemates and I learnt that she couldn't play minesweeper and talk at the same time, that she couldn't cook a crispy pancake without burning it, that she is a fantastic drunk and a terrible swot, that her favourite things are sex, the sunshine and books. I remember being amazed (and still am) at how many friends she had and how much energy she had for going out and making more.

I am proud of everything she has achieved - running the London marathon for example or setting up a writing group on the coast of Andalucia - but now I am positively glowing because at last her wonderful debut novel is being released into the wide world. Isn't it the most gorgeous cover?




I love this girl. I love this book. And if you like a bit of paranormal romance with your rites of passage then so will you.

No comments: