Wednesday, 21 October 2009

Proof of Life





I have pages of notes from my publisher on my manuscript. The one I just delivered? Noooo, that would be too soon, too easy and too perfect. Instead I have notes on the novel I delivered almost TWO YEARS AGO. And some of them read like advanced maths problems. Example:

"p. 67, line 8 up, ‘Minus fifteen’: According to p. 193, this is supposed to be September or the beginning of October (‘So until January. Three months, a little less’) – However, on p. 34 St Ashton are playing in the fourth round of the FA Cup, which takes place late January (see query to p. 91), when the temperature could be that low. (See also query to p. 82.) What time of year is it?"

Huh?

Given that I had a baby just two short weeks ago you can imagine my brain's porridge-like capacity for such questions. I'm going through the notes only tackling the easy ones, much like taking the soft centres from a box of chocolates. But sooner or later I'm going to have to address the mind-benders. I just hope I manage to get more than two consecutive hours sleep before then.

And I have a cold.

What I really want to do is snuggle up under a crocheted blanket with my delicious new baby and perhaps a little of the warm eggy tortilla made by my mother-in-law's Spanish hands. There should be some sort of 'leave' available to new mothers. Oh, wait, there is?

No comments: