Monday, 28 September 2009

The Note Not Taken




It took me almost as long to update that little wordcount gizmo to the left as it did to write the thing. Okay, wild exaggeration aside, it sure was stressful. In the end I had messed it up so badly that I had to cut and paste the wordcount gizmo and start all over again. Thank God I didn't have to do that with the book. I think that's the big fear with edits, that you'll make some changes that go too far down a bad path and that you'll be unable to get back to where you started and end up lost, in the wilderness, staggering around looking for a break in the trees. I'm fairly certain this is why everyone hates rewrites. In my experience while I may often fear going too far in the wrong direction it never actually happens. As Robert Frost says on the theme: "Yet knowing how way leads on to way/ I doubted if I should ever come back."

I think I am gong to reinvent myself as the rewrite princess. Rewrites, edits, yummy, I love them. It's all in the attitude...and that has made all the difference.

No comments: