Friday, 17 October 2008

How long is too long?

I knew it had been a while since I wrote here, but I had no idea it had been quite as long as that. Hopefully by the time STUDS is published I'll have so many posts on here that you'll hardly notice. I must stop calling it STUDS. The title must die. The working title for the Frankfurt book fair is Dangerous Play, which belongs in italics if ever a title did. I have, somewhat predictably gone off it already. Still there's a new editor at Penguin who is going to come up with the perfect title. She's reading it now and I am putting all my chips on her.

Reasons for blog silence many and varied. Have been slow with writing which always makes me feel guilty for doing anything specific except writing. Non-specific displacement activity abounds. Which is ridiculous as a blog post or some admin would be a far better use of my time than cleaning the bathtub or buying vintage leather jackets online. That said, both jacket and bathroom look fabulous so I'll live with it. Reason number 2, was trying to think of a way to make this blog multi-task more efficiently by writing posts that could be published elsewhere. One idea was to post 'open letters' to people in the public eye, dear Jade, dear Sarah Palin, that kind of thing, but with a brief that narrow the incentive to write dried up and so I am back to this. Just me. Rambling.

Book 4 - Best Friends, did I say? - is slower than I would like (especially since we have decided to take December off and go down mexico way) but the story is getting interesting and the characters are getting richer and more complex, which I always like. I have been trying to think of the perfect criminal activity for one particular male character which is VERY BAD without being off the scale paedo-gunman-psycho. I'm thinking arms trade? Where do I start to research that baby? Google here I come...

No comments: