Wednesday, 2 July 2008

best bitch

On June 18th the inaugural Melissa Nathan Awards were held in London. Melissa Nathan is the hugely talented author of romantic comedy (chicklit) novels such as The Nanny and The Waitress and more. Sadly she died aged 37 and these awards were set up in her memory. Now, if such a sad story of a talented writer taken before her time isn't inspirational enough, then a list of the award categories might be.

Best Bitch? Best Bastard? Best First Kiss?

It's like the MTV movie awards, I love it. I remember in 1993 when then unknown Alicia Silverstone won Best Villain for The Crush I was thrilled to be the only person in the world (or so it seemed) to have seen the film, mainly as I had a bit of a crush - ok, raving infatuation - on co-star Cary Elwes. But I digress.

I'm not sure that the books I write will ever be eligible for The Melissa Nathan awards - I think they veer too wildly away from the sassy chicklit scribes with their warm hearts and belief in soulmates, I doubt I am either funny or romantic enough to qualify - but writing the character of Chrissie Morton in Broadcast Whores is an exercise in aiming for Best Bitch. I love her. Or rather, I love to hate her, and that's got to be a good thing - right?

I love writing bitches. After all, they do say write what you know and I've 33 years of bitch experience under my skinny belt.

No comments: