Tuesday, 29 April 2008

Once upon a time...

..in days gone by I had all the time in the world to write and yet I still struggled with self-discipline. Now motherhood has placed unfathomable demands on my time and I have distinct and narrow windows where writing is possible, and yet in many ways it feels as if nothing has changed. The internet, the garden and the kettle still call to me with promises of productive procrastination. I know I am not alone, writer friends both real and virtual have the same....I was going to say 'problem' but in the grand scheme of life that word sounds very wrong...have the same bad habits.

Jodi Picoult, she of the prolific output of what I like to call legal heartwrenchers, says that she writes for several hours a day every day, after all you can edit crap but you can't edit nothing. Good advice Jodi, but how does she get herself to her desk without fail? Today I saw a picture of where she writes, a gorgeous attic with far reaching views, book lined walls and the perfect cherry wood desk. So I imagine that it's a pleasure for Jodi to sit down. Though I live in one the most cramped cities in the world and my home is small (but sweet) today I created a perfect writing space, a corner upstairs, with a plant for greenery, a shelf for reference, all within wailing distance of CJ, in the hope that self-discipline is more nurture that nature.

Today's writing advice: Love where you work.

No comments: